Monday, July 13, 2009

Music of the Himalayas













During my recent trek to the Himalayas with family and friends, I got to experience something which cannot be described in words. My attempt here may fall way short of my actual experience. Yet, I feel you guys out there, who have not been up to the mountains, should atleast hear of what it feels like there.

Haven't we very often heard of Sanyasis/ saints going to Himalayas to meditate? I think it is the touch of the soil, the very place, which is charged with energy, that elevates any one who treads on it.

The peace and silence, especially when you cross the 10,000 ft barrier is piercing. All I could hear was my own breath, the wind blowing on my face and the birds.

The route this time was a 10day trek from Uttarkashi via the most versatile and stunning landscapes of the Himalayas to the base of the Bandhar Poonch Peaks and back.

Much before reaching there, I had made up my mind that this time I am going to search for more than just pure adventure. I wanted to search within myself and regain some of my being, which I felt I had lost in the past 2-3 years.

I sat down on many occassions during this trip, unlike my last one, when i did not utilise the oppurtunity to be by myself, to meditate, practice music and pranayama.

My experience in Devkund sitting by myself, in isolation from the rest of the group, in front of the overbearing mountains, with just bees, insects, birds and my own breath making sounds was hair raising. I was able to meditate and sing for an hour and what power I could draw from the nature. I could visualise my music and make it dance to the music of the nature.

My experience in Gidara Bugiyal where I practiced by the river all my myself early morning was something. I had the river accompanying me like the tambura. What overtones I could hear from the water.

At every point during the trek, I felt my self digging deeper into myself, understanding my joys, my sorrows and walking, being OVERWHELMED at all times by the LAYA (rhythm) of nature

1 comment:

Sudhir Chadalavada said...

Thank you Ramprasadh for sharing this beautiful journey of yours. I could feel your experience and. It makes me want to go there soon. Regards, Sudhir